Windows 10 19H1 Build 18282 is now available to Insiders in Fast and Skip Ahead Rings. Today’s preview update for Windows 10 brings a light theme to Start Menu, Taskbar, Action Center and other elements.
In a blog post, Microsoft notes that you will be able to choose between the real light and dark shell in Windows 10. If you select Light under Settings > Personalization > Colors, the system color (Start menu, Taskbar, Action Center) will change to light and it looks fantastic, thanks to the new Windows 10 Hero wallpaper.
“When you update to this build, your system color won’t automatically change to the new light system color. This is because we want everything to be exactly as you left it before you did the update. We’re leaving the choice up to you,” Microsoft said in a blog post.
Modern snipping experience
Windows 10 Build 18282 includes snipping improvements and you can finally try the new window snip feature. Microsoft says that the feature can be accessed with (WIN + Shift + S, Print Screen) keyboard combination or you can also use Snip & Sketch app to snip the screen.
Windows will remember the selection when you start a snip next time. This new window snipping experience will show up on 50% of Insider machines but it will be enabled for everyone soon.
Modern Printing experience
You’ll notice that the modern dialog now has a light theme. The second noticeable change is updated printing options which include icons to help you easily and quickly identify the one you’re looking for. Windows will now wrap the printer name if it’s longer.
Windows Update improvements
Pause Updates: Microsoft is updating the Windows Update settings page to help you find the pause option easily. You will notice ‘Pause updates for 7 days’ option directly on the ‘Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update’ page. In Windows 10 19H1, you’ll be able to easily pause updates for a pre-defined number of days or until the specific day.
Intelligent Active Hours: From ‘Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update > Change active hours’ page, you can set hours when you want Windows to avoid rebooting your device.
- We fixed an issue causing File Explorer to freeze when interacting with video files in the last few flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in certain x86 apps and games having blurry text rendering in the last few flights, where the text appeared to have a shadow.
- If you were seeing certain games launch to launch with an error citing unexpected kernel modification detected, please the games for available updates and let us know if you encounter further issues.
- When you hover over the navigation pane in Start, after a short period it will now automatically expand. This is something that a portion of Insiders have had for a little bit now, and after finding positive results we’re now rolling it out to all Insiders.
- We’re adding a shadow to Action Center, to match the shadow seen along the borders of our other taskbar flyouts.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some users not being able to set Win32 program defaults for certain app and file type combinations using the Open with… command or via Settings > Apps > Default apps.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the context menu not coming up when right-clicking an open app in Task View.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the touch keyboard not working correctly when trying to type Chinese with the Bopomofo IME.
- We made some improvements in the Narrator and Chrome browser experience.
- Narrator Scan Mode will more reliability toggle off when a user reaches the Word Online canvas, making it easier to type.
- We fixed a race condition resulting in blue screens if your PC was set up to dual boot in recent builds.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders experiencing a PDC_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bug check / green screen on resume from hibernate.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Network button on the sign-in screen not working recently.
- PDFs opened in Microsoft Edge may not display correctly (small, instead of using the entire space).
- The hyperlink colors need to be refined in Dark Mode in Sticky Notes if the Insights are enabled.
- Settings page will crash after changing the account password or PIN, we recommend using the CTRL + ALT + DEL method to change the password
- Due to a merge conflict, the settings for enabling/disabling Dynamic Lock are missing from Sign-in Settings. We’re working on a fix, appreciate your patience.
- Settings crashes when clicking on the “View storage usage on other drives” option under System > Storage.
- Remote Desktop will only show a black screen for some users.
- If you install any of the recent builds from the Fast ring and switch to the Slow ring – optional content such as enabling developer mode will fail. You will have to remain in the Fast ring to add/install/enable optional content. This is because optional content will only install on builds approved for specific rings.